Gluten Free Maple Crisp
This recipe is inspired by Fuller’s Sugarhouse Maple Sugar, with good reason! This is a delicious and easy dessert for any night of the week with the perfect amount of sweetness, crunch and zest. Don’t forget to comment below on how your apple crisp turned out!
4 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into bite-size pieces.
1 lemon, zested & juiced
2 oz Maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp allspice
¼ cup maple sugar
1 cup rolled oats, certified gluten free
½ cup almond meal
¼ cup sliced almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
4 oz melted butter or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- For the filling, mix ingredients in a large bowl. Make sure the apples are well coated and the cornstarch is dissolved. Pour into a greased square baking dish or 9” pie pan. Use cooking spray, butter or coconut oil to grease the bottom and sides of the pan. Set aside.
- For the topping, stir together dry ingredients, then add melted butter or coconut oil. Mix together well. I like to use my hand for this part. Best tool in the kitchen! Sprinkle evenly on top of the apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is bubbling around the edges and apples are cooked through. If the topping starts to brown too fast, place a loosely tented piece of foil over the top.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy the crisp with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
- I like to mix up the variety of apples, sweet and tart. I picked up a handy contraption for $25 at Target a few years back that peels, slices and cores the apple in seconds. #worthit
- Brungot Farms Maple Syrup and Sugar are so pure you don't need much for sweetness. Give the apples a taste when coating them. If using a commercial grade maple syrup, you might want to add 1-2 tablespoons more.
- Make it your own! Add a pint of blueberries or raspberries to the apples. Or substitute pears for half the apples. Almonds, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts all work well.
- Mallory Lehenbauer